Monday, December 7, 2009

Thin (*Trigger Warning*)

I don't have much to say about this. Thin, dir. Lauren Greenfield, is one of the best HBO documentaries produced to date...I used to be obsessed with it when I was first starting my disorder. I can watch it now with a clearer head, but I can still understand where these women are coming from...This film gives great insight into the treatment process,and also into how the disordered mind works. I know it's long, but its more than worth it. Its just a well-made piece of cinema that happens to speak to the theme of this blog.























Everything these women have said, I've said. Everything these women have thought, I've thought. Eating Disorders can be a very uniform experience. But, truth be told, I see non-disordered women acting out the exact same roles, playing the same parts. More and more I see ED becoming something mainstream.

Don't you see yourself in them?

I don't mean for this post to be negative...quite the opposite, actually. I applaud anyone who takes the initiative to go into treatment, even when the experience is as difficult as what was documented. I think the more we can debunk the 'glamor' and 'mystique' of eating disorders, the better. And this is one way of doing so.

Oh, and so is this: http://www.accesshollywood.com/Polly-Williams-Of-HBOs-Thin-Found-Dead_article_8390

I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones